Wednesday 10 February 2016

6 Foundations for combination skin, GOOD vs BAD




 

 

Go to foundations are a must for any lover of makeup. Makeup is not just a cover up, it builds confidence, creates an energy boost and is a high passion of mine. In order to build this confidence, you need to have a foundation that covers imperfections whilst also having your natural beautiful skin showing through. Your face is a canvas needing to be filled, foundation is the start of that new lease of life. I would also like to point out these foundations look very messy as in order to give a proper view I felt like I needed to use them long term to get a good feel of whether they work or not.

I have combination skin, which can be difficult at times when trying to find the right foundation as I have a very dry forehead and nose but can all become very oily throughout the day resulting in my makeup to become patchy, shiny and flaky! Which drives me mad! If you have this problem too then read on as I will give my views on the best foundations to use and which to avoid.

To start off with I want to discuss a foundation that can be found in drug stores such as Boots or Superdrug for a reasonable price. This foundation is a must have for any makeup bag, creating a flawless look without the expensive price. The foundation I am referring to is the Bourjois Paris 123 makeup which claims to do 3 things: Anti-dark circles, anti-dull complexion and anti-redness. This foundation does really work, with high coverage which is buildable and stays perfectly on my face for the rest of the day, it claims to last up to 16 hours, however I have not worn makeup for that long as I take my makeup off in the evening. Some patches do start to appear during the day however this is expected due to my oily areas. In all I feel this is a brilliant foundation for combination skin.

The next foundation I will discuss is my holy grail – for a short period of time –  NARS All Day Luminous Weightless Foundation. The foundation when first applied is absolutely flawless creating an even complexion and feeling just like normal skin. This is normal to full coverage however you wouldn’t believe it was full coverage when pumped out of the bottle as it is very liquid, almost like water, the bottle suggests to shake well before use as this bring more consistency to the product. The only problem with this foundation is it becomes very patchy after only a few hours due to my oily skin so if you have combination skin I would advise usage of only short term and if you have oily skin I would avoid the product all together. I believe this foundation will be perfect for people with dry skin as it is so duey and soft on the skin. It is one of the first foundations that is a complete match for my skin tone as I am very pale, most foundations tend to be too orange for my face of wash me out completely so a big thumbs up for their range of colours. Another bonus of this foundation is the pump comes with it which you don’t get with NARS – Sheer Glow.

The next foundation in the firing line is the Mac Studio Sculpt – this foundation clings to the dry areas of my face and feels very heavy when applied. In some areas the foundation looks flawless and applies quite evenly however it does exaggerate any dry areas I may have. This was advised for combination skin so may work on other peoples as everyone’s skin is completely different so just because it doesn’t work on mine doesn’t mean it won’t be perfect for you. It is medium coverage and has a wide variety of colours to choose from to help you get the right colour. This foundation comes in a plastic bottle which is practical as if you drop it, it won’t smash however I just prefer glass ones as it’s a personal preference.

Maybelline Super Stay is another drug store foundation which is at a very good price. This product does last a long time on my skin and feels lightweight throughout the day. It is quite sticky and duey when applied however when you apply a setting powder to it the texture feels and creates the perfect complexion.  The range of colours however is quite disappointing as they aren’t really suited for people who have light skin; this one tends to be quite orangey when applied which isn’t a good look in winter. However, this may look more suited in the summer when my skin starts to get a bit more colour in it.

Yves Saint Laurent – Le Teint Touche Éclat – This foundation applies beautifully onto the skin and creates a flawless completion when first applied however again due to my combination skin it can create a few patches in my oily or dry areas however regardless this is a beautiful foundation to wear. It is medium to full coverage and still feels lightweight on the skin as well as allowing some of your natural skin to shine through. I wouldn’t say this foundation lasts all day however with a few touch ups it creates a lovey soft glow to the skin all day long.
 

 

Dior – Forever – this foundation is brilliant for all day wear and does not budge. It applies beautifully to the skins using your fingers, brush or beauty blender and creates a matte finish. If your someone who doesn’t like to look too dewy or have oily skin, then this foundation is for you! This foundation claims to be everlasting, pore refining and have shine control which is perfect for when you want to snap a few pictures using flash. This foundation is a must have for all makeup bags as its flawless and lasts all day, the only problem I have is the colour match is slightly different but hey hoe you can’t have it all.

 

These are 6 foundations that all have pros and cons. You just need to find what is right for you! And remember it’s all about the base, make sure you exfoliate, moisturise and use a good primer to keep your skin feeling fresh and healthy whilst wearing a foundation that doesn’t budge. Hope this helps when you’re choosing a foundation! Good Luck!

 

Product Included:

Bourjois – 123 £10.99

NARS – All Day Luminous £32

Mac – Studio Sculpt £25.50

Maybelline Super Stay £6.50

Yves Saint Laurent – Le Teint Touche Éclat £31.50

Dior – Forever £32.50

2 comments:

  1. I love the YSL foundation and have been wanting to try the Dior one for a while, looks like I may just have to pick it up :)

    buymebeautiful.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Dior one is flawless especially for long wear, I'd definitely recommend :)

    ReplyDelete